Wednesday, August 25, 2010

8/25/10

On the taxi ride over to the place we are staying for the first week, Luciano casually mentioned that we would only be staying here for a week. The driver let out an audible sigh of relief and told us that this isn't the safest part of Boston. He told us not to walk in on direction and we would probably be OK.

Last night I took a sleeping pill so that I would fall asleep since I had slept until 5 PM earlier that day. When Luciano got up at 7AM for his first big day at Harvard I was sick and shaky from being so tired. I wanted to get up, support him, take a picture...you know, all the things good wives do, but I didn't even get out of bed.  I guess I will save that for his actual first day of classes.

A few hours later, he called me and informed me that it was cold and rainy outside, so I should just sleep in, watch some Hulu, and relax. That gave me the permission I needed to sleep almost all day. At some point during my sleep, there was a knock at the door. I got up, groggy still from my pill, and opened it to two young detetectives (I think since they had badges but no uniform-Cindy help me out here, you watch cop shows). "Excuse me mam, but have you ever seen this man" as they showed me a picture of an African American man. I had half expected it to be a picture of the white property manager who let us in to the place and when it wasn't I was so relieved that I didn't take a good look at the picture. "We have reason to believe he lives in this building". So far I hadn't seen any African American men at all except our taxi driver but it would have been a good idea to take a good look in case I happen across him. The men left without any help from me. I went back to sleep and completely forgot about it until I saw Luciano later for dinner.

Don't worry though. Eventhough the place we rented is smaller than our tiny studio we are in now, we will be in a much safer, much nicer part of town...It even had a Bed Bath and Beyond.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment